Wednesday 8 June 2011

Baking with left overs


I’m not one for cooking or using leftovers, but I decided I am sick of perfectly good food being thrown away. I was looking in my fruit bowl this morning and it was filled with overripe bananas and apples. We’d already taken the pork out of the freezer to use for tonight’s dinner, so it seemed like the perfect time to use up a bunch of the apples. So I peeled and chopped them, threw them into a casserole dish, added some onion, carrot, the pork and some sauce and popped it in the oven for a few hours. Made me feel better about not leaving them sitting in the fruit bowl until they were no good and then throwing them away.

We never used to have banana’s left as J would eat them till they were coming out of his ears, but recently he has decided that actually he doesn’t like them anymore. Along with all the other foods he's decided he couldn't possible eat.  So I had half a dozen over ripe bananas that looked like they were heading for the bin. I contemplated making banana bread but realised I didn’t have a tin so had to scrape that idea. Faithful google came up truimps though with a recipe for ‘banana muffins.’ I don’t overly like bananas, or anything banana flavoured so I wasn’t very optimistic about them being very nice. I’m pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised and they are actually very yummy.

So not only did I make two very yummy dishes, I managed to use food that would normally be thrown away. Need to do this more often, save those pennies.

If anyone is interested the muffin recipe  is from 'All Recipes'

They are really easy to make and uses ingredients that you are more than likely going to have in your cupboards anyway.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment