Thursday 23 December 2010

Germs, germs, germs...

I'm sick of them; I've had more than enough. I want to behave like a toddler; stamp my feet and scream till I get my own way. Except I know full well that tantrums don't work so I'm just going to have to ride it out.

As you know from my last blog and endless updates on Twitter and facebook my toddler has been really poorly. We thought he was getting over it last week when he ate but it took a few more days for him to be back to himself. Even now coming up to two weeks later he's not 100%.

Baby has a small cold now, he started sounded all snuffly with a blocked nose and then he got a temperature. Which made me worry; I couldn't have him getting as ill as his brother. Coughing followed so I decided to give NHS direct a quick call. They agree it sounded like a cold but because he's only four weeks old they advised me to take him to see our GP.

We managed to get an appointment that evening, which in itself was a pain in the neck. He wasn't yet registered which is a joke since they have sent me his appointment for his 6week check up. Anyway the stupid receptionist told me I should have registered him the day before I wanted the appointment. Well sorry for not being able to see into the future and knowing I'd need it.

Anyway off we went and I got to see a lovely Irish doctor. He did all the checks. Temperature was raised, breathing was too fast then he fetched a nurse to bring a machine to check oxygen levels. Next thing I know he's telling me to go to children’s A&E. What? Why? Is he okay? A million questions I couldn't even manage to ask floating around my head. I half listened as they told me where to go and to get someone to meet me there. Then he considered getting us an ambulance but decided it'd be faster for me to just go straight there. Ambulance and talking’s of the possibility of him being kept in scared me to death. Resulting in me crying at the lovely doctor. He redressed Riley, walked me out making sure I was okay.

Quick call to the hubby and my sister, who said she'd bring hubby to me and let my parents know. Luckily Joshua was with them.

Over Three and a half hours after arriving, a normal doctor and a senior consultant we are discharged. It was just a cold. I was majorly relieved, colds I can handle. Oh and an eye infection which is clearing up already but it's a two man job trying to get the ointment in his eyes.

Hubby is also ill, I had a runny nose for a few days but got away lucky. Just as well as it's not possible to sit and feel sorry for myself.

My Christmas wish is that we enter the new year as a healthy germ free
family. Wishing for it for Christmas is to tall an order.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone ill at once its a nightmare.
    *huggles*
    I was relieved when you told me Riley is fine.
    I am still waiting for the phone number from the irish doctor tho ;)
    Fingers cross your wish for the new year will come true

    ReplyDelete