Tuesday 4 January 2011

Looking Forward...

New year’s tend to start with resolutions, most which are barely kept till the end of January. I gave up making resolutions a long time ago, I never kept them anyway and if we want to make changes we shouldn't need to wait till the calendar ticks over to another year. We should do because the time is right.

However there are a few things I'd like to achieve or do this year so I thought I'd write them down as a little reminder. Something to look back on in a few months.

1. Be the best mummy I can possibly be to my boys. It's not always easy, some days it too easy to get cross especially after a bad night’s sleep. But I promise myself that I will try, it’s not their fault.

2. Write more. I've enjoyed writing for years, I don't claim to be any good at it but I don't care. It's my escape. Over the past few months writing has taken a back bench and I really want to get back into it. Both stories and blogging. I'm struggling for ideas for both at the moment so if anyone has suggestions please comment. I have no idea who reads my blog, but if there are certain types of posts you prefer more than others please let me know. Or if there is anything you’d like me to babble about... I’m open to ideas.

3. Think long and hard about what I want to do with my life. Is being a mummy and working a boring admin job enough. Sometimes I think it is, other times I'm not so sure. I view my work as an ends to a means, helps to pay the bills and put money on the table and that’s about it. I sometimes think my job should be more fulfilling, satisfying, but being a Mummy is sometimes enough. There is nothing more satisfying than being with my boys. Studying appeals to me one day, not so much others. I completely enjoyed the short fiction course I did last year, and would like to do something similar again. I'm not likely to make any life changing decisions but I need to think about it.

4. Lose weight, nothing drastic and I'm not going to utter the 'D' word because the mere mention of it makes me want to reach for the nearest bar of chocolate. I just want to make more of a conscious effort to eat healthy and if I can manage it do some exercise. Even if it's just walks with the kids, I want to be happy be with the way I look.

I think that's about it. There are probably a million things I could write down that I want to do or change but I know realistically I'm never gonna manage it. So it’s pointless writing a huge list of things, because when I look back it will only depress me that I’ve achieved none of them.

2 comments:

  1. And here I was thought I would read about all the boring new years resolution everyone is making at this time.
    But yours are not the common ones and thats refreshing.
    I am sure when you will read this blog back in a few months you will see you have managed it all.
    I will try my bestest to help with the story bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive plans there :D
    Beats all the lists I've seen of I MUST DO THIS/THAT/THE OTHER cause they always seem unachievable!
    x

    ReplyDelete