Sunday 16 January 2011

When are you planning on stopping?

‘How long are you doing that for?’
Two questions that most breastfeeding Mums seem to encounter. I’m never sure how to answer. It’s not like on the 23rd May, the day he turns six months I’m going to suddenly stop. Although according to the latest reports exclusively breastfeeding for six months isn’t recommended now. Why they can’t put their money into researching something useful, instead of producing reports to tell us how to be good Mummies. I'm going to carry on as long as we are both happy. Be it three months or a year. It's an incredible bonding experience, it’s easy and enjoyable for me. No washing and sterilizing bottles, no getting up in the middle of the night to warm milk, no worrying about taking enough milk on days out. My milk is with me all the time and it saves me a small fortune. Not to mention it is the best for my baby.

J wasn’t ready for solids at four months, even though endless people told me he was. ‘It’ll make him sleep through the night.’ Funny how they say the same for formula, yet neither work. Babies have a massive four month growth spurt and if I’m happy waking every two hours to feed my baby then why does it bother everyone else so much? I waited until he was ready at almost six months. Even child is different, so parents cant be expected to all do the same thing at the same time.


Breastfeeding rates are lower in this country than most, yet we do nothing and support mothers. No one tells you how hard it’s going to be in the first few days and weeks. Maybe if they did instead of painting a picture that is easy and natural more woman would stick at it. Instead they are left struggling, thinking they are doing something wrong, with little or no support and end up giving up. This latest report is going to put even more women off trying.

It came as no surprise to me that three out of the four people who'd carried out this new report used to work for a formula company. They need to atop making it about money and more about what is actually best for babies.

Personally I say ignore all the rubbish they come out with, and trust your instincts... no-one know your baby better than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment