Monday 7 February 2011

The power of a book

After reading a post on bethan-no-y about the demise in literacy levels in this country it inspired me to write my own post about reading.




I love to read, I’ve always enjoyed reading ever since I was a little girl. I admit I lost my way a bit during my teenage years as other things caught my attention but I found my way back and I read now more than I ever did. I used to dream of finding a magic tree with all sorts of fabulous creatures living in it. I never did find such a tree but it was fun dreaming about it. Reading is my escape; it allows me to be removed from the stress of everyday life for a few minutes a day. When you find a truly good book you become so absorbed that real time passes by almost as quickly as the days in the book, you don’t want to put it down. Just another page and another until you reach the last one. Then you are gutted because it’s ended and even though you wanted to find out what happened you can’t help but feel a little bit sad that you’ve reached the end.

I don’t know many guys that read, my dad does but that’s only something that has come with age. He never used to read. Ant doesn’t read and I’ve suggested to him many times that he should, but he’s not interested. In one particular conversation he told me that it’s only old men that read, I’m sure that’s not always the case but I do tend to find that I know a lot more females that read than males. So am I fighting a losing battle encouraging my boys to read, I hope not.

Regardless of whether they keep it up when they enter adulthood I want to encourage them as children, reading is important. I’ve read to J since he was little, we point things out and he gets bedtime stories every night. I’ll do the same to R when he’s a bit bigger. J loves his books and every time I catch him sitting in the corner (always sits in the corner) flicking through a pile of books I feel a little flutter of pride. I want him to enjoy reading; of course I’d love him to be able to read before he starts school. Doesn’t any Mum? However I will never force him to learn through reading, if he doesn’t want to read I won’t make him. Some days we’ll sit for ages flicking through books, other days we only have a story at bedtime. This morning while I was getting dressed, I left R lying on my bed and J went and got a couple of books and climbed up next to R and was trying to show them to him. Was very cute.

I think the problem with reading sometimes is that people approach it the wrong way – reading shouldn’t be a chore and it you see it as one you’re not going to enjoy it. Find a fantastic, fun, enjoyable book and lose yourself in it. My favourite place to read is in the bath, a hot bath with gorgeous smelling bubbles and silence. It’s completely relaxing; I can travel to another place or fall in love with a character. Lose myself in the deliciousness.

You don’t have to read great works of literature like Shakespeare, if you enjoy chick lits or fantasy then who cares. I love a good chick lit, but I’ll also give any kind of book a chance. There is only so much chick lit I can read, so every now and again I pick something completely different. Pride and prejudice is one of my all time favourite books. It's about time I borrow it from the library again I think.

8 comments:

  1. My 6 year old stepson loves reading, it does seem like more and more little boys are interested which is great!
    This scheme is particularly great for getting school age boys interested: http://www.boysintobooks.co.uk/.
    Lovely lovely post & thanks for the mention xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! As a kid I always had my nose in a book! It helped me escape an unhappy childhood. I drifted to faraway happy places! Books are wonderful & it thrills me that my son & stepkids luv books. Makes me sad that my special needs daughter can't enjoy them. I am only truly happy when reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome. I read yours and it made me want to write.
    I will have a gander at that link. Not that I know any school ages boys. Its great your step son loves reading though and I'm sure your little girls going to have a fab book collection xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. jonyybabe : Thanks for reading! I find it amazing how books can transport us far away and no matter whats going on we can forget about it and be happy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jonyybabe : Thanks for reading! I find it amazing how books can transport us far away and no matter whats going on we can forget about it and be happy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your welcome. I read yours and it made me want to write.
    I will have a gander at that link. Not that I know any school ages boys. Its great your step son loves reading though and I'm sure your little girls going to have a fab book collection xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 6 year old stepson loves reading, it does seem like more and more little boys are interested which is great!
    This scheme is particularly great for getting school age boys interested: http://www.boysintobooks.co.uk/.
    Lovely lovely post & thanks for the mention xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog! As a kid I always had my nose in a book! It helped me escape an unhappy childhood. I drifted to faraway happy places! Books are wonderful & it thrills me that my son & stepkids luv books. Makes me sad that my special needs daughter can't enjoy them. I am only truly happy when reading!

    ReplyDelete