Monday 4 July 2011

The Big Save!

July started and as of pay day on Friday we are beginning a BIG save. For the foreseeable future we will be cutting out treats and all the little pointless spends. It’s going to be bloody hard, there is no doubt about it. No more popping to the shop just because we fancy a bottle of wine, or a tub of ice-cream – if it’s not included in our food shop it doesn’t get bought. Other than the obviously exceptions like bread top ups.

I’m not going to discuss what we are saving for, a couple of people know and others can probably guess. It might never happen, it might take longer than our two year plan so I don’t want to go into detail.

Part of our savings plan is giving ourselves 'pocket money,’ we've set a Target of £15 each a week. Out of this we need to buy any extra food bits, pay for children's activities and treats. I think it’s more than enough, but hubby isn't convinced. He's a terrible saver and I can feel he'll struggle more than me. Lots of motivation from me is going to be needed, to prove to him we can still have fun... just cheaply.

I've got a couple of ideas, and a few things that bring in a very small amount of money. I'm involved in a shop and scan scheme, which makes me £1 a week, (providing I remember to submit) it would be slightly more if I scanned my till receipts to but the effort of taking photos, resizing them and uploading was too much hassle for an extra 60pence...although it would all mount up.

Surveys. I've been doing these since the tail end of last year and although they will never make me rich they are going to help with Christmas presents. I've just received £35 worth of toys r us vouchers from one website. The surveys are time consuming and boring but since I'm doing nothing else with my evenings I may as well do them. I've been a bit lax just lately so I'm going to set myself a challenge of doing at least one survey every day. Providing they are available.

Overtime. Not me as unfortunately I’m not going to have that option, but A is going to try and do as much as he can. The more he gets the sooner we can set the wheels in motion for our plans. He’s already done 12 hours this week and it’s only Monday.

Those are currently my only money making schemes, I'd love some more suggestions though. Anything feasible.

My ideas to save money:
 1. Do all my Christmas shopping in the sale;, I’ve already made my first three purchases last week. Two at 40% off, one with a massive 70% off.

2. Meal planning. I've never done this before, but it’s been recommended and it does make sense. We are terrible for throwing vegetables away because they didn't get used quick enough. I hate throwing food away. What's the best way to go about meal planning? Would like some cheap yummy food suggestions from people.

3. I tried to trade in all my books for cash but no one wanted any. So that plan was a fail.

Actually that's all I have, that's seriously lame. I need to get my thinking cap on...otherwise we'll never hit our targets.

All ideas welcomed and appreciated. I'll be updated my plans and letting you know how it’s going in the hope that it'll keep me motivated.

2 comments:

  1. Any unwanted cds/dvd/games you can sell online, I sold on music magpie. Don't get a lot but better than nothing.

    Car boot sale if you have enough stuff??

    I haven't heard of the shop and scan scheme, that sounds interesting how does it work??

    Good luck to you and Ant, may be tough but fingers crossed for you. And no more broken laptops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have many cds, and I'm sure they won't want my crap anyway. Lol

    Shop and scam, basically you scan the barcodes on your food shop every week and then submit them. They send you a little clicked. It's something you have to be invited to tho.

    Thanks Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete