Friday 1 July 2011

Potty Training

Two weeks in and I want to say, done, dusted, finito. I fear I may have just jinxed myself though. I’ve been dreading potty training since forever, having visions of cleaning up deposits from every possible place in my house. The reality though was completely different and the most accidents we had in any one day was three and that was the first day. Within a week, (two of those days we were out all day so he was in a nappy) he was making it through a day at home without any accidents.

The real test was taking him out to play, so our first play date was at my friend’s house. Who only let us go over on one condition – I didn’t apologise if he peed on the floor. He didn’t, I felt like doing a little happy dance. First time I reminded him and showed him where he could go to the toilet – the rest of the times he told me. He doesn’t have many words but he has decided ‘pot pot’ is potty, it works and it lets us know what he wants.

I never thought I could get so excited about wee going in a potty, but I did. I cheered lots the first time, Joshua cheered with me and then I gave him two mini marshmellows. This routine continued for the first few days every time he went. The power of marshmellow!! He would carry the potty over to me and show me, then cheer. It was very cute and he was super proud of himself, as I was of him.

I guess it proves that potty training doesn’t have to be a disaster and if you wait until the child is ready then it was be a smooth transition. Hopefully he’ll continue, and begin pulling his own trousers up and down…instead of taking them off and throwing them away and not wanting them back on.

What are other peoples experiences with potty training? I am sure I won’t have it as easy next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment